Besides the many hiking possibilities( a detailed map is available) it is also very nice to set off by (sport)bike (which can be rented in Venerey Les Laumes).
Although the area is hilly, on the whole, biking is very well possible. The cycling paths through the nearby “Canal de Bourgogne” are worth visiting and are quite flat. There are also many opportunities for terrain bikers.
In addition there are also several places to take a swim; the reservoir in Grosbois, the “Lac de Pont” nearby Semur- en-Auxois, the swimmingpool in Vitteaux or the pool in “Parc de l’Auxois” in Arnay-sous- Vitteaux.
You will find tennis courts in e.g. Flavigny-sur-Ozerain, Venarey-les-Laumes and Montbard .
There is also a riding school nearby were you can rent horses. In the vicinity there are also golfcourses to be found. For example in Precy-sous-Thil(9 holes) and the magnificent golf course (9 and 18 holes) “Chateau de Chailly”near Pouilly-en-Auxois (see web-links).
Enthusiasts who like rock climbing can go to Hauteroche and Saffres.
In the accommodation there is a corner with a lot of information about the area.
Another selection of numerous places in the vicinity worth visiting:
- Flavigny-sur-Ozerain, a picturesque, walled village in the neighbourhood. It is known as one of the most beautiful villages in France and it was also the setting for the movie “Chocolate”.For centuries monks have also produced little aniseed balls.
- Also in the neighbourhood is Alésia. Here you can visit the excavations of the Gallo-Roman settlement. Soon you can also visit a new, outstanding museum which will be opened in the beginning of 2012. In 52 B.CJulius Caesar defeated the Gaulish army commanded by Vercingetorix. Despite defeat the latter was still regarded a hero. As a result an impressive statue is to be found nearby.
- Semur-en-Auxois is a beautiful Mediaeval settlement (city walk) with a pleasant center and some nice shops.
- Dijon the capital of the Dukes of Burgundy with its stately mansions, interesting museums, magnificent gardens and parks.
- Beaune, the city of burgundy wine and for instance Hotel Dieu, a hospital founded in the Middle Ages, many museums and numerous wine cellars.
- Montbard on which the natural historian Buffon has left his mark, but certainly the Abbey of Fontenay as well; one of the most beautiful Cistercian abbeys which is placed on the list of world monuments and historic buildings of UNESCO.
- Bussy-Rabutin Castle in the village of the same name.
- The sources of the Seine in St.-Germain-Source-Seine.
- Chateauneuf-en-Auxois, a beautiful village situated high up with attractive old houses situated round an impressive mediaeval fortress.
- The Morvan, a protected area managed as a regional nature reserve.
- Near Arnay-sous-Vitteaux you will find Parc de l’Auxois; a zoo, an amusement park and swimming pool under one roof.
- Vezelay, a picturesque village especially known as a place of pilgrimage (on the route to Santiago de Compostela) with the abbey church Basilique Ste. Madeleine (World heritage list UNESCO).